What is Carbon Fiber?Carbon fiber repair uses carbon fiber to repair bowed or cracked foundation walls. Carbon fiber is an extremely strong, lightweight, environmentally-friendly polymer used in manufacturing. It’s not only lighter than steel, but twice as stiff and five times stronger. Carbon fiber doesn’t stretch or break. This makes carbon fiber perfect for stabilizing basement walls and preventing movement.
What is Carbon Fiber Repair?Carbon fiber is used to fix basement walls that are either cracked, bowed, or both. Carbon fiber stabilizes the wall and prevents additional inward movement. The carbon fiber straps are adhered to the wall approximately every four feet using a special epoxy. No excavation necessary and the repair can usually be completed in one day. When the job is done you can paint over the straps. Compared to other solutions, carbon fiber is easy on the pocketbook. If you wait until there’s severe bowing and/or cracking, the repair solutions will be more expensive. So, it’s best to catch problems early.
Hydrostatic pressure’s role in cracked, bowed wallsExcess water in the soil around a foundation causes hydrostatic pressure to build up and push against the foundation wall. If the pressure isn’t relieved via a drainage system, the wall will eventually start to bow inward and even crack. Therefore, getting groundwater under control is an essential step in stabilizing a bowed and/or cracked foundation wall.
Carbon fiber repair installation procedureThe carbon fiber installation process is as follows:
- The surface of the wall is prepped and primed.
- A special epoxy is applied to the carbon fiber.
- The carbon fiber strip is placed over the crack.
- After the repair is complete, the surface is painted.
Benefits of Carbon Fiber Repair
The benefits of carbon fiber include:
- The repair is nearly invisible – The thin carbon fiber sits flush with the wall. It will be barely visible once you paint over it. Compare with bulky steel I-beams.
- Installation is quick and minimally-invasive – No special equipment is required.
- Restoration of structural integrity to your foundation wall – Carbon fiber may be thin, but it’s extremely strong.
- Works with all types of cracks – Vertical, horizontal, stairstep, and hairline.
At Bay Area Underpinning we know how important it is to protect your home against foundation damage. That’s why we’ll work with you to prevent soil-related issues around your home so you’ll be able to avoid future foundation problems. When your home is structurally sound you save money in the long run.
We use premium carbon fiber from Rhino Carbon Fiber®, a full line of carbon fiber products for basement and foundation repair. Rhino has specialty products to repair bowing walls, cracked foundations, and basement pillars or columns as well as wall repair kits. With Rhino products, we are always able to find one that fits your specific problem.
For all of your carbon fiber repair needs in the Bay Area including in the cities of San Francisco and Sacramento, CA, contact Bay Area Underpinning today. We’ll be happy to answer any questions you have about your property and provide free estimates.